Other students accompany and support mentees for an entire semester as personal mentors. The mentoring program helps you make friends and also offers:
- a fascinating workshop on life in Germany with intercultural training content (mandatory for participation)
- many extra classes (German grammar and conversation or technical classes, Java, Matlab)
- a leisure time program with reserved pub tables, excursions, cultural and sports activities
We look forward to meeting you!
… interested international students who
- plan to complete their entire bachelor’s or master’s studies at the University of Stuttgart (full-time program)
- are just beginning their studies or are experiencing difficulties studying (higher semesters also qualify)
- have time to meet at least twice a month with the mentor
- are interested in meeting people from other cultures
- have time for a one-day introductory workshop and the social program
- a mentor who will be there for you during an entire semester to help with any questions
- the chance to speak lots of German and understand it better
- the chance to get to know German culture intensively
- an enjoyable introductory workshop with intercultural training content
- other interesting workshops
- Free classes (in German grammar and conversation, Java, Matlab, CAD, athletics, and music)
- A great leisure time program
- Certificate of participation or certificate of intercultural competence and internationality
- quickly get accustomed to the University of Stuttgart
- get support for all questions on how to organize your studies
- help with courses
- integration into German society and life in Stuttgart
- make new friends from Germany and from around the world
- active participation in a cool university program
- the chance to do volunteer work
- intercultural, communications, and social skills
- get to know new cultures and viewpoints
- reflections on your own culture
The three pillars of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program
The most important pillar of the program is the one-on-one relationship between the international mentee and his/her mentor. Mentor and mentee meet at least twice a month. Mentors support their mentees with all questions touching their studies, getting oriented at the University, and social integration into life in Germany. The mentee in turn will introduce his/her mentor to his/her own culture and perspective on Germany.
The program coordinators prepare the mentors for their task in a two-day introductory seminar at the start of the semester. During the semester, the program coordinators also serve as on-call counseling resources. The mentoring activity counts as an interdisciplinary key skill (social competence) with three credit points toward the mentor’s studies. It also increases mentors’ chances of gaining a place to study abroad.
All mentors receive a certificate of participation upon turning in their final report.
Every semester we offer participants of the intercultural mentoring program a variety of free workshops.
Workshops during the summer semester 2017
Self-Marketing on the 7th and 8th September [in German] (to register, send an email to email@example.com)
To support the participants both academically and language-wise, we offer a variety of free tutorials for our mentors and mentees taught by former and current participants. The tutorials are either held once a week or on specific dates and include a wide variety of topics, e.g. language courses (german and other languages), programming skills, study-related courses as well as non-study-related courses such as rhetoric and elocution training, first-aid courses, e.t.c.
The tutorials for next semester shall be updated at the start of the winter semester 2017/18.
A varied social program with regular round table meetups, excursions, as well as sports and cultural events complement our stable of in-house events (our kick-off event, international evenings, christmas parties and many more!).
All participants are encouraged to make suggestions and to organize events themselves.
Objectives of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program
- Cultural exchanges between German and international students
- Promote social integration of international students and participation in campus life
- Provide intensive counseling and mentoring to international students
- Improve the technical and language skills of international students
- Reduce the international student drop-out rate
- Offer volunteering opportunities
- Foster intercultural, social, and communications skills.