International students: Financing your studies

Do you have sufficient financial resources or do you need a scholarship? Get answers to this and other important topics concerning cost of living in Stuttgart.
[Photo: pixabay]

Cost of living

You should expect the costs of living in Stuttgart to be high. This table is created to help you with planning on the necessary funds you should provide for your stay.

Monthly cost of living expenses

about EUR 750




between approx. EUR 350 and EUR 500

Health insurance (compulsory)

approx. EUR 90

Broadcasting fee (compulsory in Germany)

EUR 17,50

Semesterticket (for public transport – per semester)

approx. EUR 210

Semester contribution (per semester)

approx. EUR 110 (exchange students)

approx. EUR 170 (degree students)

Tuition fee for students from non-European countries (per semester) 

approx. EUR 1.500

+ additional outlays (personal expenses like food, entertainment, etc.)


Proof of sufficient financial resources

Should you have to apply for a visa or a residence permit you will need to prove that you can afford a minimum of EUR 853 per month for the length of your stay. If you stay for more than a year you will need a proof for at least 12 months. This proof can take the form of a savings account statement, confirmation of available credit balance, a proof of a stipend, scholarship or blocked account. In case a blocked account is necessary, you will receive further information from the German embassy of your home country. The University of Stuttgart is not in the position to offer financial aid for covering living expenses.

Finding a scholarship

It is best to begin your search for a scholarship while still in your home country, since these programs normally require applications to be made from abroad. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) has a range of scholarships to be found on its scholarship database. You can also find further information on scholarships and funding on the Baden-Wuerttemberg STUDYGUIDE website.

There are different ways to find financial assistance if you are coming to the University of Stuttgart:

The University of Stuttgart offers scholarships funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to advanced students. Priority is given to qualified, highly-committed international degree and doctoral students with demonstrated potential for completing their studies at the University of Stuttgart. The scholarship can be awarded for up to six months.

There are three types of DAAD STIBET I scholarships:

Who can apply?
International students who

  • will receive their degree from the University of Stuttgart (BSc, MSc or PhD)
  • have received good grades so far
  • are not recipients of any other full scholarships from a German or foreign organization
  • are in the final stage of their studies

Application deadlines:
January 31 and June 30

Application deadline for doctoral students:
September 30 2019

How to apply:

  • Please submit all required documents (as listed in the PDFs above) to the International Office
  • Application forms are only available in person from your contact person at the International Office

Beihilfe (Financial Aid)

Beihilfe is an emergency support for students from the University of Stuttgart sponsored by the Ministry of Science (Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg). The amount of Beihilfe is determined on a case-by-case basis. A senate committee has the final say on all awards.

Who can apply?
Degree students who

  • expect to graduate from the University of Stuttgart
  • are currently enrolled in at least their fourth semester (Bachelor's or Master’s degree)
  • find themselves in a temporary situation of financial emergency

Application deadlines:
December 1 and June 1

How to apply:
If you wish to apply for Beihilfe, forms are available at the International Office.

The University of Stuttgart offers short-term scholarships from an emergency fund for enrolled international students who are suddenly  experiencing financial difficulties. The scholarships are funded by donations from the Christian Bürkert Foundation.

Unforseen armed conflicts, natural disasters, inflation and currency fluctuations can cause financial support from the country of origin to suddenly stop. Likewise, illness, parental unemployment or the expiration of project funds may contribute to students or doctoral candidates being unable to finance their livelihood.

The emergency fund is aimed at qualified and particularly committed international students as well as at doctoral candidates seeking a degree at the University of Stuttgart.

The scholarship duration and amount are based on the temporary financial needs of the applicants and are determined by a selection committee of the International Office.

Who can apply?

International students who

  • are pursuing a degree at the University of Stuttgart and expect to graduate successfully.
  • are suddenly confronted with serious, unexpected short-term financial difficulties.

Application deadline

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.

How  to apply?

The application forms are only available after personal consultation at the International Office.

Working while studying

Given the high academic workload, financing your studies by working only is not encouraged. If you are an EU citizen you can work without any restrictions in Germany just like Germans do. If you are from a non-EU country you will obtain a restricted work permit which must be stated explicitly in your passport. When you receive your residence permit, make sure it also reflects your work permit information. For more on this topic, see our web page on working.

Getting insured

All degree students as well as exchange students from non-EU countries are required to take out a compulsory student health insurance as prescribed by German law. Exchange students from EU countries with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are exempted from this requirement as long as you don't work in Germany. 

Carrying personal liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) is not compulsory in Germany. However, we highly recommend that you purchase one. It protects you against liability for causing injury to others or damaging their property, such as a rental apartment, a laboratory, or your university institute, to include even the loss of keys, for example. These policies typically cost between EUR 30 to EUR 80 per year, depending on your family status. See our insurance page.

Dieses Bild zeigt Dezernat Internationales

Dezernat Internationales

To the top of the page