The Rector, the Chancellor, and the Vice Rector for Information Technology are full-time Rectorate members. Permanent adjuncts are the Vice Rector for Teaching and Continuing Education, the Vice Rector for Research, the Vice Rector for Advanced Graduate Education and Diversity, and the Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer.
The following committees render advice to the Rectorate on issues of strategy, organization, and research promotion:
The membership of the Extended Rectorate Board is composed of the Rectorate and the Deans of the Faculties. Also attending the Board’s meetings are permanent adjuncts of the Rectorate plus the University’s media spokesperson. The Extended Rectorate Board advises the Rectorate on:
- Development and strategic planning including staff development,
- Conclusion of university contracts and agreements on objectives,
- Setting of criteria for performance and workload measurement,
- Drafting the business plan,
- Distribution of the University of Stuttgart’s available professorships, positions and resources,
- Strategic research initiatives,
- Such other matters for which the Rectorate considers involvement by the Extended Board as necessary.
When the University is in session, the Rectorate convenes the Extended Rectorate Board once a month.
Meetings schedule for winter semester 2019/20:
Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:00 pm
Meetings schedule for summer semester 2020:
Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 2:30 pm
Monday, June 8, 2020, 2:30 pm
Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 4:00 pm
Meetings schedule for winter semester 2020/21:
Wednesday, Octobre 28, 2020, 2:30 pm
Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 2:30 pm
Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 2:30 pm
The Research Council advises the Rectorate on research promotion and strategy; it may on its own initiative address research-related topics. It is specifically responsible for:
- Requests for funding from the research fund for start-up financing of cooperative research undertakings (SFBs, GRKs, etc.) as provided for by the University of Stuttgart’s research promotion document;
- Requests for funding from the research fund exceeding 20k euro;
- Requests for large apparatus costing more than 100k euro;
- Establishment, modification and dissolution of cross-faculty research structures, in particular internal and inter-university research networks;
- Such other requests as delegated for review to the Research Council by the Rectorate.
The Research Council is chaired by the Vice Rector for Research, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jan Knippers.
On the page of the Research Council you will find the current meeting dates and Research Council members.
The council for scientific cooperation with extra-university institutions (Cooperation Council [de]) advises the Rectorate on cooperation with extra-university research institutions and industry alliances. On its own initiative, it can take up strategically relevant topics for the promotion of extra-university cooperation and the transfer of knowledge and technology. The Cooperation Council is, in particular, responsible for:
- The coordination of strategic research initiatives between the university and extra-university research institutions, in particular the Fraunhofer Society, the Max Planck Society, the German Aerospace Center and institutions of the Innovation Alliance Baden-Wuerttemberg;
- The establishment, modification and dissolution of cross-faculty research structures and research alliances with external research institutions and industrial partners;
- Applications for funds from the Knowledge and Technology Transfer Fund;
- Concepts and measures to promote the transfer of knowledge and technology within the university;
- Further proposals submitted by the Rectorate to the Cooperation Council for consideration.
The Cooperation Council is chaired by the Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter Middendorf.
Personal Assistant to the Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer
The following individuals take part in rectorate meetings as permanent adjuncts:
The Senior Advisor for International Affairs is responsible for the internationalization strategies and strategic support and coordination of the University of Stuttgart’s international activities. The Senior Advisor provides advice on fundamental questions relating to international cooperation in teaching and fosters the University’s international relationships.
Dr. Wolfgang Holtkamp
Tel.: +49 711 685-81086
The Office of the Rectorate supports and advises the Rectorate members in carrying out their duties in in keeping with best practices of professional and goal-oriented university management.
Dr.-Ing. Michael Waldbauer
Tel.: +49 711 685-81000
Fax: +49 711 685-71000
Azenbergstraße 16, room 3.001
The Head of University Communications and Press Speaker advises the rectorate in all aspects of both internal and external communication and marketing.
Dr. Hans-Herwig Geyer
Tel.:+49 711 685-82555
Fax: +49 711 685-82291
The personal referent supports the rector in carrying out his duties, thus ensuring a professional and targeted university management strategy. Furthermore, he or she is also responsible for organizing the meetings held by the university rectorate and for its associated offices.
Tel.: +49 711 685-82202
Fax: +49 711 685-82113