The Rector, the Chancellor, and the Vice Rector for Information Technology are full-time Rectorate members. Permanent adjuncts are the Vice Rector for Teaching and Continuing Education, the Vice Rector for Research and Early Career Researchers, the Vice Rector for Diversity and Internationalization, and the Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer.
Entrusted with the performance of business
Philipp von Ritter zu Groenesteyn
Phone: +49 711 685-82204
Vice Rector for Information Technology (CIO)
Dr. rer. nat. Simone Rehm
Phone: +49 711 685-82550
Fax: +49 711 685-72550
Address: Keplerstr. 7, room 1/27
Vice Rector for Research and Early Career Researchers
Prof. Dr. Manfred Bischoff
Institute for Structural Mechanics
Phone: +49 711 685-66123
Vice Rector for Teaching and Continuing Education
Prof. Dr. Frank Gießelmann
Institute of Physical Chemistry
Phone: +49 711 685-64460
Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer
Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter Middendorf
Institute of Aircraft Design
Phone: +49 711 685-62411
Fax: +49 711 685-62449
Vice Rector for Diversity and Internationalization
Prof. Dr. Silke Wieprecht
Institute for Modelling Hydraulic and Environmental Systems
Phone: +49 711 685-64461
The following committees render advice to the Rectorate on issues of strategy, organization, and research promotion:
The membership of the Extended Rectorate Board is composed of the Rectorate and the Deans of the Faculties. Also attending the Board’s meetings are permanent adjuncts of the Rectorate plus the University’s media spokesperson. The Extended Rectorate Board advises the Rectorate on:
- Development and strategic planning including staff development,
- Conclusion of university contracts and agreements on objectives,
- Setting of criteria for performance and workload measurement,
- Drafting the business plan,
- Distribution of the University of Stuttgart’s available professorships, positions and resources,
- Strategic research initiatives,
- Such other matters for which the Rectorate considers involvement by the Extended Board as necessary.
When the University is in session, the Rectorate convenes the Extended Rectorate Board once a month.
Meetings schedule for summer semester 2023
Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 2:30 pm
Wednesday, June 14, 2023, 2:30 pm
Wednesday, July 12, 2023, 2:30 pm
Meetings schedule for winter semester 2023/24
Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 2:30 pm
Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 2:30 pm
Wednesday, February 7, 2024, 2:30 pm
The Research Council advises the Rectorate on research promotion and strategy; it may on its own initiative address research-related topics. It is specifically responsible for:
- Requests for funding from the research fund for start-up financing of cooperative research undertakings (SFBs, GRKs, etc.) as provided for by the University of Stuttgart’s research promotion document;
- Requests for funding from the research fund exceeding 20k euro;
- Requests for large apparatus costing more than 100k euro;
- Establishment, modification and dissolution of cross-faculty research structures, in particular internal and inter-university research networks;
- Such other requests as delegated for review to the Research Council by the Rectorate.
The Research Council is chaired by the Vice Rector for Research and Early Career Researchers, Prof. Dr. Manfred Bischoff.
On the page of the Research Council you will find the current meeting dates and Research Council members.
Dr. Courtney Burrell
Administrative Office of the Research Council
Division 1 – Research and Transfer
Project Office and Early Career Researchers
The council for scientific cooperation with extra-university institutions (Cooperation Council [de]) advises the Rectorate on cooperation with extra-university research institutions and industry alliances. On its own initiative, it can take up strategically relevant topics for the promotion of extra-university cooperation and the transfer of knowledge and technology. The Cooperation Council is, in particular, responsible for:
- The coordination of strategic research initiatives between the university and extra-university research institutions, in particular the Fraunhofer Society, the Max Planck Society, the German Aerospace Center and institutions of the Innovation Alliance Baden-Wuerttemberg;
- The establishment, modification and dissolution of cross-faculty research structures and research alliances with external research institutions and industrial partners;
- Applications for funds from the Knowledge and Technology Transfer Fund;
- Concepts and measures to promote the transfer of knowledge and technology within the university;
- Further proposals submitted by the Rectorate to the Cooperation Council for consideration.
The Cooperation Council is chaired by the Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter Middendorf.
Dr. Tine Trumpp
Personal Assistant to the Vice Rector for Knowledge and Technology Transfer
The following individuals take part in rectorate meetings as permanent adjuncts:
The Office of the Rectorate supports and advises the Rectorate members in carrying out their duties in in keeping with best practices of professional and goal-oriented university management.
Dr.-Ing. Michael Waldbauer
Phone: +49 711 685-81000
Fax: +49 711 685-71000
Azenbergstraße 16, room 00.008
The Acting Head of University Communications and Acting Press Spokesperson advises the Rectorate on all matters of internal and external communications and marketing.
Phone:+49 711 685 82297
The personal referent supports the rector in carrying out his duties, thus ensuring a professional and targeted university management strategy. Furthermore, he or she is also responsible for organizing the meetings held by the university rectorate and for its associated offices.
Phone: +49 711 685-82202
Fax: +49 711 685-82113