To study at a German university, both EU and non-EU citizens must furnish proof of health insurance. Please find out what applies to you.

In order to enroll at a German university, all students under 30 years of age are required by law to carry health insurance. The same applies to all students who require a residence permit (i. e. non-EU citizens). In the following section, we describe how EU and non-EU citizens can fulfill this requirement and how to evidence it.

Non-EU students under 30 have to purchase mandatory student health insurance from a German state health insurance provider. This insurance costs about EUR 120 per month and covers most medical and dental costs. An advantage of these insurances is that the cost of treatment is carried out directly between the doctor and the insurance company. However, prescriptions require payment of a fee ranging from EUR 5 to 10.

Once you have health insurance in Germany, the health insurance company must send an electronic proof of insurance to the University of Stuttgart before you enroll. If C@MPUS displays an error message, please contact your German health insurance company. You do not need to upload any other documents to C@MPUS.

If you have already obtained private health insurance under your scholarship program (e.g. Erasmus Mundus students, DAAD or IPSWaT scholarship holders, etc.), you must obtain a certificate of exemption (Befreiungsbescheinigung) from any of the state health insurance providers in order to enroll at the University of Stuttgart.

Please note: Your student health insurance coverage is in effect only when you are enrolled at the university. Coverage starts on October 1 for the winter semester and April 1 for the summer semester. Therefore, if you will be taking the intensive German courses, respectively in September or March, we recommend you purchase a travel health insurance policy in your home country to cover you during those months.

All non-EU students over 30 years of age and all doctoral students must take out private health insurance. Please make sure that the insurance covers as many benefits as possible, especially if you have a chronic disease. For further questions or uncertainties, please feel free to contact the International Office. 

If you intend to travel outside Germany while enrolled at university, we recommend that you take out travel health insurance for a fee of approximately EUR 15. You can find the application forms at most banks.


During the enrollment: Health insurance

As an EU citizen you are required to bring an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your insurance provider in your home country.

If you are in possession of an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC or GHIC), you need to contact a health insurance provider in Germany prior to your enrollment. They will then send an electronic proof of insurance directly to the university. You do not need to upload any other documents to C@MPUS.

You will receive necessary medical treatment at a doctor, dentist or in hospital with your EHIC. For prescriptions you will have to pay a fee between EUR 5 and 10 at the pharmacy. If you start working in Germany, we storngly recommend that you contact a state health insurance company for more information.


During the enrollment: Health insurance

Carrying personal liability insurance is not compulsory in Germany. However, we highly recommend that you purchase one. It protects you against liability for causing injury to others or damaging their property, such as a rental apartment, a laboratory, or your university institute, to include even the loss of keys, for example. These policies typically cost between EUR 30 to 80 per year, depending on your family status.

Personal liability policies are available from banks, insurance companies or online, where you can find up-to-date price comparisons (use Versicherungsvergleich as a search term). Your contact person at the International Office can also provide application forms and answer any questions you may have.

Every enrolled student is statutorily covered by accident insurance free of charge. The coverage applies

  • when attending lectures and seminars,
  • during other activities run by the university such as visits, workshops, sports courses, using the university library
  • when participating in trips organized by the university, including those abroad
  • when participating in student council or stuvus activities

If you have an accident during one of these occasions, please address the Admis­sions Office as soon as possible. You can receive further information on this topic from the Studierendenwerk Stuttgart.

In case you have a chronic disease, please make sure that your German insurance covers possible expenses caused by your disease. When drawing up a contract with one of the German health insurance companies please call attention to your disease.

Chronical diseases can be: migraine, Addison’s disease, asthma, cardiac failure, diabetes, epilepsy, haemophilia, multiple sclerosis, and further.

We offer counseling for all students (including prospective students) of the University of Stuttgart with chronic diseases


This image shows International Office

International Office

To the top of the page