Central facilities with their service offerings support above all the students and staff of the University of Stuttgart. Whether it is the University Library, the Combined Heat and Power Plant, or Continuing Education, central facilities perform research, training, service and provisioning functions.
The High Performance Computing Center (Höchstleistungsrechenzentrum, HLRS) conducts basic and applied research in the field of high-performance computing in publicly funded national and European projects as well as industrial research activities in association with partners from research and industry.
The University of Stuttgart Information and Communication Center (IZUS) is a one-stop shop for meeting the university's information and IT services requirements. It is split into two areas: University Library, and Technical Information and Communications Service [de]
The Visualization Institute (VISUS) is a central research facility of the University of Stuttgart. Three work groups conduct fundamental research on scientific visualization processes, as well as interdisciplinary, application-oriented research in close team work with other subject specialties of the University of Stuttgart.
Inter-faculty teaching facilities
Inter-faculty research facilites
Besides research in the disciplines, the University sees a great opportunity for new discoveries by engaging in interdisciplinary collaboration. By integrating different topical and methodological approaches to knowledge in complementary subject disciplines, as well as by bringing in the expertise of external partners, the special “Stuttgart Way” represents a cogent contribution to answering the challenging questions of our times. The continued interlinking all areas within the University (e.g., in the form of research centers) therefore is given special priority.
- Collaborative Research Centers and Transregios
- Stuttgart Research Focus Language and Cognition SRF
- International Center for Culture and Technology Research
- Stuttgart Research Center Systems Biology (SRCSB)
- Stuttgart Research Center of Photonic Engineering SCoPE
- Stuttgart Research Center for Text Studies [de]
- Center for Applied Quantum Technology (ZAQuant)
- Center for Interdisciplinary Risk and Innovation Research (ZIRIUS)
- Center for Medical Technology Stuttgart Tübingen (IZST) [de]
- Center for Integrated Quantum Science and Technology (IQST)
- Work Group Air Pollution Control (ALS)
- Research Focus Traffic (FOVUS)
- Stuttgart Computer Science Association (IVS)
- SR3C - Stuttgart Research Center for Complex Systems and Communication
- Center for Water Research Stuttgart (wfz)
- Research Cluster Wind Energy (WindForS)
- Project StutCAD (Faculty 7) [de]
Stuttgart Center for Simulation Sciences
Computer-aided simulation and modeling are penetrating all areas of science and increasingly also find application in industry and in daily life. The Excellence Cluster Simulation Technology (SimTech) investigates ways of improving modulation, display, calculation and application techniques as well as the infrastructure required for a broad spectrum of simulation applications.
The ARENA2036 Research Campus (Active Research Environment for the Next Generation of Automobiles) bundles expertise in lightweight construction and innovative manufacturing technologies prevalent in the Stuttgart region. In so doing, ARENA2036 builds bridges between R & D, science, and business. In tight-knit, open partnership, numerous institutes and firms are refining the path to the automobile and lightweight manufacturing of the future.
Facilities near and far
The University of Stuttgart initiates and supports joint projects and inter-faculty research centers and creates the required infrastructure for cooperative research undertakings. It intensifies its relationships with universities and non-university research facilities as well as with partners from regional businesses and society, both in our state and globally. The University maintains especially close relationships with non-university research institutes such as the Max Planck Society, the Fraunhofer Institute, the German Aerospace Center or the Marbach Literature Archive.
- Accommodation Building for Visiting Lecturers of the University of Stuttgart
- Conference Hotel campus.guest of the University of Stuttgart
- International Meeting Center (IBZ) [de]
- Association of Friends of the University of Stuttgart [de]
- Technology Transfer Initiative TTI GmbH [de]
- University Building Authorities Stuttgart and Hohenheim [de]
- Stuttgart Student Services [de]
- Work and Organization (IAO)
- Building Physics (IBP)
- Chemical Technology (ICT)
- Interfacial and Bioprocess Engineering (IGB)
- Production Engineering and Automation (IPA)
Institutes of the Baden-Württemberg Innovation Alliance (innBW)
- German Institues of Textile and Fiber Research Denkendorf (DITF)
Institute of Textile Chemistry and Chemical Fibers (ITCF)
Institute of Textile Technology and Process Engineering
Center of Management Research
- Institute of Micro Assembly Technology (HSG-IMAT)
- Institute of Micro and Information Technology (HSG-IMIT)
- Institute of Microelectronics Stuttgart (IMS), Foundation under the Civil Code
- Center for Solar Energy and Hydrogen Research Baden-Württemberg (ZSW))
Max Planck Institutes