Upon your arrival in Stuttgart

Find out about the formalities you have to take care of after arriving in Stuttgart

1. How to find and contact us

Maps and Directions

Your way to the University of Stuttgart

Your way to the Welcome Center located in the International Office (IZ)

Consultation at the Welcome Center

We invite you to come to the Welcome Center to get information, support and personal consultation.

Open consultation hours:
Monday, 10 am - 12 pm and 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Wednesday, 10 am - 12 pm and 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm

Just come by!
You may also contact us by phone under +49711-685 68999 or write an e-mail to arrange an individual appointment on another day.

Please fill in the registration form before you come to our office. Thank you!

2. Formalities

Both EU and Non-EU citizens are required to register at one of the residents’ registration offices (Bürgerbüros) within the first fourteen days after having moved into an apartement or hourse. If you do not have a place to stay yet, you may also register with the adress or your temporary accommodation.

The following documents must be provided:

• Your passport or ID card (EU citizens only)
Registration form (Anmeldung) filled out and signed
• Form Wohnungsgeberbestätigung = a confirmation that you have moved in to the adress you have provided, filled in and signed by your landlady or landlord

To participate in the cash-free transfer of money to pay for rent, health insurance and similar transactions, we recommend you open a personal checking account (Girokonto) in Germany.

Health Insurance

A valid health insurance is compulsory in Germany from the very first day of your arrival until the day of your departure. Different conditions apply depending on your status and country of origin, length of your stay, etc.

  • EU-Citizens: Regardless of how you fund your research visit, you only need to bring the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to Germany.

  • Non-EU-Citizens: There are two options for non-EU citizens. If your research stay is private or funded by a scholarship, you must take out private health insurance. The monthly fees are dependent on age, type of job, desired benefits and state of health. Visits to doctors and hospitals must be paid directly and are subsequently paid by the health insurance after submission. Each family member needs their own health insurance.

If you receive a contract of employment under German law, you will be insured by the statutory health insurance. Once you start your job, your research institute will take care of the paperwork. If you would like to influence the choice of insurance, please contact your institute at an early stage.

Detailed information on the German health insurance system can be found on EURAXESS - Researchers in Motion. 

Personal Liability Insurance

Unlike health insurance, personal liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) is not compulsory in Germany. However, we strongly recommend to purchase uch an insurance since it covers damage caused by you or your family members to persons or objects (e.g. a rented apartment). Some policies even include the loss of keys.


If you are a Non-EU citizen you must apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the town you take up residency. This applies to Non-EU citizens which have optained a visa by the German embassy or consulate office before they entered the country as well as to Non-EU citizens who are allowed to enter Germany without visa. Non-EU citizens with visa requirements need to do this before their visa expires while Non-EU citizens without visa requirements need to apply for a residence permit within 90 days after having entered Germany. To get an appointement at the Foreigners' Registration Office, you first need to comply with residents' registration (Bürgerbüro).

The Welcome Center can assist you in getting an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office, settling certain issues like health insurance beforehand and can issue a letter adressed to the Foreigners' Registration Office in charge to facilitate the progress. Please note that the waiting time for appointments may take several months. 

The following documents must be provided:

  • Your passport
  • One biometrical photo (information about biometric photos)
  • Copy of the residents' registration form (Anmeldung)
  • Letter provided by the Welcome Center of the University of Stuttgart
  • Health insurance certificate
  • Proof of sufficient funds (letter of your institute which will employ you, scholarship letter, etc.)
  • approx. EUR 56 handling charge
  • Additionally: Hosting Agreement (in case of when you have applied for a residence permit on §20 Research)

You can find more information on the website of the Welcome Center Stuttgart (Weltcafé), a service center provided by the city of Stuttgart for new residents.

3. Additional Information

To find private, long-term accommodation in Stuttgart please check out the following websites:

Newspapers like Stuttgarter Zeitung, Stuttgarter Nachrichten and Süddeutsche Zeitung also publish offers for apartements and houses on their websites.

To understand real-estade ads take a look at this list of abbreviations. For assistance in finding accommodation, we will be happy to help you by calling landlords, explaining the details of rental conditions, etc.

Please be aware of rental scams!!
Information about rental scams and fake ads


Public Transportation System

Check out the websites of the public transit association VVS to get information about timetables, tickets and subscriptions.

Driver's licence
EU/EEA (European Economic Area) citizens:

After taking up residence in Germany your driver's licence will remain valid.

Non-EU citizens:

For Non-EU/Non-EEA citizens, the driver's licence will be valid for 6 months only. After this period, a driver's licence, issued by the Federal Republic of Germany will be needed. Translation formalities depend on holder's country of origin

For further information we recommend to have a look at the websites of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure or the website of the Welcome Center Stuttgart.


A number of sharing services for cars, bicycles, etc. are available in Stuttgart.

Information on topics concerning familiy, childcare, pregnancy, school, etc. is provided on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

As a researcher with children, please check the websites of the service point "University & Family" of the University of Stuttgart. This service point provides all information that you need as parent (family-friendly facilities like breastfeeding and diapering rooms on campus, childcare possibilities in Stuttgart, work and (family) life balance, maternity and parental leave, etc.)


Raphaela Diel

Raphaela Diel

Head of Welcome Center for International Scholars

To the top of the page