University entrance qualifications

To be admitted to study at the University of Stuttgart, you will need a higher education entrance qualification. This can either take the form of a school leaving certificate or vocational qualification for university studies.
[Photo: boing / ]

Your grade transcript, the type of school you attended, or training program you completed successfully are the basic elements that can make you eligible for university studies.

There are different types of entrance qualifications for studying at the University of Stuttgart. They are differentiated by nationality and the qualification type, as follows:

  • Certificate of general university entry qualification (Abitur): Eligible for all courses of study.
  • Vocational university entry qualification or equivalent: Eligible solely for the degree programs explicitly stated in the certificate (or as decided by the University in case of doubt)
  • Successfully completed undergraduate studies: Eligible for all courses of study. (Upon application, the responsible examination committee will decide what credits will be eligible for transfer.)
  • Admission to the university without formal qualification may in select cases also be possible.
  • If you need to take an advanced placement test, you can sit for the Delta Exam.
  • German citizens (including naturalized persons and those with a second nationality, so-called dual nationals) who hold a foreign university entrance qualification may apply for admission to universities in the German Federal Republic provided that the foreign qualification is recognized as being equivalent to a German university entrance qualification. In Baden-Wuerttemberg, this responsibility is vested in the Department of Evaluation and Recognition for Certificates of Education of the Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart.
  • Recognition granted for a qualification by the responsible education authority is valid for all states of the German Federal Republic, unless explicitly restricted.
  • A foreign university entry qualification that only entitles to studies in a certain specialized field in most cases will be valid in Germany only for studies in the same field.
  • The mode of application will be guided by the rules for German university applicants, even if an applicant possesses German as well as another citizenship.

Please be sure to submit your foreign university entry qualification early to the responsible office, so that it has been recognized by the time the application deadline rolls around (July 15 of every year) so you can apply to a German university in time.

The following offices decide whether to recognize a foreign university degree:

  • What credit for foreign study and examination results will be transferred is decided by the respective examination committee once an application has been made.
  • Recognition of the equivalency of foreign university degrees for admission to doctoral studies is the responsibility of the dean’s office in the relevant University of Stuttgart faculty.
  • Credit for professional activity is given by the relevant professional association.
  • EU citizens enjoy the same standing as German citizens but must proof their good knowledge of German.
  • In evaluating qualifications submitted by applicants from EU member states, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway, the University will be guided by the recommendations of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), published on the database anabin.

To be admitted, you must at a minimum meet the same requirements as for entry to an academic university degree program in your home country. To the extent that the respective home country requires a university entrance examination, this must also be presented when applying to the University of Stuttgart.

Anabin and Central Office for Foreign Education [de]

  • Germany has agreed with a number of other states – the so-called convention countries – to mutually recognize the equivalency of school leaving certificates.
  • At present, the convention countries comprise Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Island, Israel, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Russian Federation, San Marino, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey (only applies to twelve-year secondary school; Turkish citizens with an eleven-year certificate must complete an additional year in a continuing education school), and Ukraine.
  • Citizens of convention countries apply according to the rules of the Central Office for Foreign Education and must furnish the documentation required by that office.

Anabin and Central Office for Foreign Education [de]

The admission rules for all other applicants vary substantially. Important information sources in this regard are the admissions databases of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

Database on admission requirements (DAAD)

and the database Anabin:

Anabin and Central Office for Foreign Education [de]

  • Please direct any questions to the department Application, Admission, Enrollment.
  • Fundamental for being admitted is a secondary school leaving certificate (such as a high school diploma, A-level, or bachillerato) that qualifies you – possibly in combination with a university entrance examination – for studies in your home country. In addition, your school leaving certificate must correspond to the German university entrance qualification (Abitur) or be recognized as being equivalent.
  • Under certain circumstances, the University of Stuttgart may assign you a place in its Studienkolleg (preparatory course) if, as a foreign applicant, your qualification falls short of what is needed to enroll in a regular course of study. Here you will take a two-semester course to prepare for the so-called assessment exam, the results of which can let you apply once more to the University of Stuttgart.

Please refer to the webpages for international degree-seeking students for further information.


This image shows Student Counseling Center

Student Counseling Center


Application, Admission, Enrollment

  • Further information
  • Your points of contact for application, admission and enrollment on Bachelor's and Master's study programs.
To the top of the page