Your way to the University of Stuttgart

Find out how to join the University of Stuttgart as an international scholar.

1. Find your ideal research position

Overview of the main researcher areas:

For details regarding the research projects being carried out, check the institute's webpages.

  • European Career Fair (ECF)

If you want to carry on working as a researcher in academia after the completion of your doctorate, a postdoc position in applied or basic research is a logical career step. The postdoc phase in Germany is regarded as qualification gaining further experience in research, teaching and developing other skills. Often, postdocs are employed by the University of Stuttgart as research associates on a temporary basis. An employed research associate is usually expected to hold seminars and/or support doctoral students. Another possibility to carry out postdoctoral research is a scholarship or grant. Scholarship-holders mainly concentrate on research their own project often being part of a specific research programme.

Vacant postdoc positions as well as senior research positions are published on the job portal of the University of Stuttgart: or on institute webpages. You can also search for postdoc positions on EURAXESS or Academics.

A stay as a visiting researcher or professor can last from one month to more than a year. A research stay might enable you to realize your own research project or can be organized within the context of an international partnership. If you want to work as a visiting researcher at the University of Stuttgart, contact a professor of an institute of your interest. If you and the institute agree on a topic as well as on a certain period of time, the institute will formally invite you to join the University of Stuttgart as a visiting researcher.

In general, there are different possibilities to fund your research stay in Germany: public sector funding, EU funding, industry funding, as well as funding by foundations and scholarship organisations. A detailed overview is given at Research in Germany. While the first three funding sources usually finance large-scale research projects, the latter finances individual stays.

The best-known research funding organisation are the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). Additionally, you can find further research programms on the Elektronische ForschungsförderInformationen (ELFI).

If you are employed by the University of Stuttgart, you will receive a monthly salary. Please notice that income tax, contributions to statutory health insurance as well as other statutory contributions towards social security schemes will automatically be deducted from your gross salary. 

The amount one receives through scholarships and grants to do research work as a postdoc or visiting researcher depends on the researcher’s status and career level, as well as on the funding organization. A scholarship is usually sufficient to make a living in Germany. Besides, supplementary allowances for getting adequate health insurance for each family member, benefits for children or grants for participating at conferences are usually given upon request.

If you come to research at the University of Stuttgart within the context of an international collaboration between your home institution and our university, temporary stays are usually financed by means granted by the collaboration program.

Of course it is also possible to finance your stay by other means e.g. with your salary from your home institute/university or by a grant from your home country. If so, please make sure that it is sufficient to support your costs of living in Stuttgart.

2. Preparatory Steps

EU citizens

All citizens from the EU as well as citizens from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland do not require a visa to enter Germany nor a work permit to take up work here.

Non-EU citizens

Non-EU citzens require a visa to enter Germany. The application for a visa must be filed at the German embassy or consulate office in your home country or the country where you reside in at present. Even for Non-EU citizens who are allowed to enter Germany without visa we strongly recommend to apply for a visa at the embassy while still being in abroad.

All Non-EU citizens need to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office in the town where they take up residency if they plan to stay longer than 90 days. 

If you enter Germany without visa, you have to wait until you get a residence permit in Germany which might take up to three months. Without a visa or residence permit, you cannot start to do research at the University of Stuttgart.

The Welcome Center will be happy to provide you with a letter or hosting agreement which will facilitate your visa application.

To find a suitable and reasonably priced apartement for you and your family can be quite time consuming. We therefore recommend you book a hostel, a low-budget hotel, an airbnb or short-term apartment for the first days or weeks of your stay. Also check out the following websites from the Studierendenwerk Stuttgart:


We recommend purchasing travel insurance while you are still at home for the time of your journey and the first weeks in Stuttgart.

Please note: a travel insurance is not mandatory. However, it is obligatory to take out a health insurance which is valid in Germany upon arrival. The Welcome Center will assist you in finding a suitable one for you and your family.

The Welcome Center will assist you in finding a suitable one for you and your family.

3. Registration at the Welcome Center

We will be happy to help you with the preparations for your stay in Stuttgart. We therefore kindly request you to fill in and send us the following online form. This allows us to offer you personalized services according to your needs.


Raphaela Diel

Raphaela Diel

Head of Welcome Center for International Scholars

To the top of the page