Vision addresses the question of what kind of future we see for ourselves and how our University will adapt to it.
Intelligent systems for a sustainable societyVision of the University of Stuttgart
The University of Stuttgart’s mission statement describes the way the University conceives of itself and on what it bases its actions. The mission statement informs all goals the university sets and the actions it undertakes. These are its key propositions:
- The University of Stuttgart is a leading, technically-oriented German university with a global presence.
- Basic research that is both insight-oriented and practically-relevant is the key to its functioning.
- The University educates not only outstanding experts in their chosen domains but also personalities who think globally and interactively and act responsibly for the sake of science, society, and the economy.
- Through its research and teaching, it fosters the general welfare and contributes to economic success.
- As an employer, it creates space for diversity and equal opportunity as well as fair treatment for all – regardless of status, age, ethnicity and gender.
- The University of Stuttgart advocates for open-mindedness, individualism, and community spirit. Thanks to this culture of integration, it is able to create and pass on knowledge for a responsible shaping of our common future.
The „Stuttgarter Weg” (Stuttgart Way), standing for collaboration among complementary specialist disciplines, opens unique opportunities for jointly posing new questions and developing groundbreaking answers.
Consequently, the University of Stuttgart reinforces links between different ways of approaching subject matter and methods in research and teaching by integrating its engineering and natural sciences, humanities and social sciences.
The University of Stuttgart is known the world over as a research university on the cutting edge of scientific-technological progress.
It has attained this position thanks to its research strength in cross-linked disciplines and due to its cooperation with strong regional, national, and international partners. In all phases of the academic career path, the University focuses on recruiting and promoting outstanding achievers.
The University of Stuttgart attracts talented, ambitious students that it knows how to motivate for science from the start of their studies through research-based teaching and learning.
It does this by creating a subject-matter and methodological framework for high quality, integrated studies, for a successful final qualification and for shaping a well-rounded person. It creates a lifelong connection with its alumni through a varied and engaging offering.
The University of Stuttgart is an internationally recognized partner for knowledge and technology transfer with industry, science, and society.
With a locally-grounded tradition of excellent, visionary researchers, the University is able to serve and strengthens the surrounding region, provide a place for societal reflection and act as an effective, cutting edge innovator.
The University of Stuttgart attracts creative, committed people at all stages of their professional lives to its workforce.
The University stands for equal opportunity, diversity, and work-life balance. A responsive leadership culture cultivates the enthusiasm and motivation of its employees and opens attractive avenues for continuing education and personal development for them.
Thanks to its international orientation, the University of Stuttgart fosters different ways of thinking, attracts students and scientists from around the globe and produces graduates who know how function responsibly in changing contexts both at home and abroad.
It grounds international and intercultural perspectives in the questions it asks, the methods it employs, the content, programs, and work practices it generates, and in the cooperation it practices with its international partners.
The University’s mission statement, vision, strategic goals, its operational goals and methods are detailed in our image brochure titled “Visionary thinking fot the topics of the future." Here you can also learn more about the university‘s history, research emphases and current successes.