The Winter University is a great opportunity for students who are interested in German language and culture to make new experiences right in the heart of Europe.
This program is only available for students coming from a partner institution that has an agreement with the University of Stuttgart. Please consult your study abroad advisor whether your institution has such an agreement.
Conditions of acceptance
- Approval of your home university
- Completion of your freshman year at your home university
- GPA = 2.75 or better
- Payment of the University of Stuttgart Module 1 – Winter University fee
- Completion of the German language placement test (upon arrival)
Please find the updated Pre-Departure Guide here. The Program Guide for 2019 will be uploaded in late November.
You will be taught German in a classroom situation but you will also have the opportunity to practice outside the classroom.
In addition to the German language course, you will have the chance of taking a subject course in one of the following areas (all taught in English):
- 20th Century Architecture
- Art History: European Focus
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- International Business
- German Film & Literature
Most participating institutions will give 4 credits for each subject course.
Arrival weekend: Saturday/Sunday, January 12/13, 2019
Official registration: Monday, January 14, 2019
Course start: Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Exams: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Official farewell: Thursday, February 21, 2019
Official departure: Friday, February 22, 2019
German language classes:
- Monday to Friday from 8:45 am to 12:15 pm
- You will be placed in an appropriate class based on your performance
- The subject courses will be taught in the afternoons
- The subject courses have integrated excursions which are mandatory
Please complete and sign the application form and e-mail it to the International Office of the University of Stuttgart. Be sure to have your home university’s international student advisor sign the form, too!
October 15, 2018
Be aware that your home university may have an earlier application deadline.
Please note: if you cancel your application after December 15, 2018 you will have to pay a EUR 100 fee.
The German courses run five days a week (Monday - Friday). You are expected to attend all classes!
During the six week period, the total number of lessons in any German language course is 90. This is equivalent to 9 ECTS credits.
The German courses offered are based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or CEFR.
Course description: A1/1 and A1/2
- Basic grammar and structures of German
- Elementary vocabulary
- Everyday situations in your studies and at home
- Basic written and oral communication
Course description: A2/1 and A2/2
- Further development of language and communication skills building on A1
- Basic structures of German (continued)
- Special focus on oral communication
- Introduction to tourist and professional situations
- Transition from word- to sentence-level grammar
Course description: B1/1 and B1/2
- Further development of language and communication skills building on A2
- Additional topical texts from university and professional contexts
- Networking language skills
- Focus on syntax and text grammar
- Communication skills emphasizing fluency and flexibility
- Special focus on spoken communication (discussing and presenting experiences and events)
All courses will be graded based on active course participation, homework completion, test performance, and an oral presentation.
While participating in the Winter University we offer accommodation:
- with host families (at least two people households, often with children)
- in single households
During the week, the host families will provide you with breakfast. In the evenings and on weekends you are responsible for your own meals.
Most families live within 40 minutes commuting time from the university.
During the week, lunch is available in the student cafeteria at a very reasonable price.
The Winter University costs are as follows:
Course fee EUR 550
Homestay Housing EUR 650
Sum EUR 1.200
December 9, 2018
Covered are the following:
- Housing while attending Winter University
- Unlimited public transportation (bus, subway, underground) within the greater Stuttgart area
- Excursions (bus, train, lunch, guided tours, entrance fees; a EUR 15/20 registration fee is additional)
- Program administrative costs
- Tuition at your own university
- Any program fees your home university charges to cover its costs
- Transportation to Stuttgart
- Transportation to the university before registration
- Breakfast (for students not housed with host families)
- Lunch and dinner
- Medical/accident insurance
- Textbooks for German language class (approx. EUR 25)
- Personal expenses