Linguistics is the science of language: it aims to describe language phenomena in an appropriate manner.
Linguistics is divided into several disciplines:
- Phonetics/phonology investigates language sound systems
- Morphology occupies itself with the inner construction of words.
- Syntax concerns itself with the formal structure of word groups and sentences.
- Semantics analyzes the meaning of linguistic expressions.
- Pragmatics examines language as communications medium.
In Stuttgart, we teach linguistics as a cognitive science. This means that by analyzing language we expect to gain insights into the structures of the human mind.