This study program is not offered in English. For further information please visit the German version of the study program.
- AS SINGLE SUBJECT
- AS MAJOR SUBJECT
- AS MINOR SUBJECT
Bachelor of Arts
STANDARD PERIOD OF STUDY
Please consult our information on application for international prospective students.
Linguistics is the science of language: it aims to describe language phenomena in an appropriate manner.
Linguistics is divided into several disciplines:
- Phonetics/phonology investigates language sound systems
- Morphology occupies itself with the inner construction of words.
- Syntax concerns itself with the formal structure of word groups and sentences.
- Semantics analyzes the meaning of linguistic expressions.
- Pragmatics examines language as communications medium.
In Stuttgart, we teach linguistics as a cognitive science. This means that by analyzing language we expect to gain insights into the structures of the human mind.
Students should bring with them not only enjoyment in working with language, but also be prepared to do exacting, detailed analysis.
The quality of this degree program has been certified.