The Master's program Computer Science is one of the English study programs offered by the University of Stuttgart. It covers various scientific fields such as robotics, visual computing, service technology and engineering, database systems, and parallel as well as distributed systems. As Stuttgart is located right in the heart of the leading technology region in Europe, many well-known companies have their world or European headquarters here. Furthermore, research and development laboratories of international companies are located in Stuttgart. With these strong connections the University of Stuttgart offers excellent research and working environments with great job opportunities in industry as well as academia for talented and motivated students.
A Bachelor's degree is required for admission to the M.Sc. Computer Science, as well as qualifying examination results in Computer Science or a closely related field, and adequate knowledge of the English language.
The students have to decide on one of the offered majors:
- "Autonomous Systems" combines courses in machine learning, artificial intelligence, decision making and robotics with sensors and actuators, hardware and software systems as well as parallel and distributed computing resources.
- "Service Technology and Engineering" aims to provide the scientific and technological foundations of services, to train people in the design and maintenance of service-oriented platforms and solutions. This major targets application domains such as mobility, communication, as well as product and production design.
- "Visual Computing" covers the entire visual computing pipeline by offering various lectures in the field of video processing, computer graphics, visualization, human machine interaction, and optimization.
In the first year the students attend the compulsory modules, and select a predefined number of modules from the available catalogs core of their profile, respectively. The third semester offers high flexibility as here electives can also be chosen from related Master's programs, or the students can spend the semester abroad. The fourth semester is reserved for the master's thesis.
The Module Guide describes the modules and the required courses belonging to the module.
The complete information on the admission process, required knowledge of English, and the criteria for the assessment of professional suitability can be found in the admission regulations.
- Admission restriction
- Admission criteria and regulations (available only in German)
- Information on the application procedure
- General information on the Master's application
Proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language (usually a TOEFL test passed with at least 80 points (Internetbased Test) or comparable proof)
For the winter or summer semester
Please note: changed application cycle
application deadline January 15 for start of studies in the following winter semester;
application deadline July 15 for start of studies in the following summer semester.
The education in all three majors allows graduates to apply for senior management positions in their respective field:
- "Autonomous Systems": As more and more industrial products are now adaptive, reactive, and able to learn from humans, a transitional change in the underlying technologies is required. The graduates from this major are equipped with the respective knowledge to support the development of these technological changes.
- "Service Technology and Engineering": Services play an increasingly important role in society. Enterprises gain competitive advantages by offering services, and they join forces with other providers in order to deliver competitive products and services. Our graduates in this field have a deep insight into service orientation as well as trans-disciplinary thinking and, thus, can help developing service orientation.
- "Visual Computing": Visual cues are the most important sources of information for humans when it comes to making decisions. In face of the rapidly increasing amount of data created or collected by users, extracting, processing, visualizing, and interactively exploring information becomes increasingly important in today's digital world. Our graduates in this field have learned the necessary techniques for analyzing and preparing visual data for different purposes.
In the case of an outstanding degree, the program also constitutes a good opportunity to qualify for a Ph.D. program at a university or to start working as a researcher.