Graduates of this Master's program will be qualified to find employment in a wide range of professions, such as research and development engineer or technical advising manager in industry, at laboratories or universities.
The entire Master's program can be studied in English and takes two years (four semesters) including a master's thesis. COMMAS has been designed to be a very compact graduate program. It attracts also people who already have finished other studies to gain expertise in the promising field of Computational Mechanics of Materials and Structures.
To be admitted as a regular student, an applicant must have earned a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college, university, or technical school of acceptable standing. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their Bachelor’s degrees are awarded before they enroll at COMMAS.
General admission requirements:
- A school certificate authorizing the holder to enter a university or an authorization regarded as equivalent by the board of examination of COMMAS
- G.C.E (O+A-Level), Baccalaureate, Lise Diplomasi, Apolyterion, Maturitaet, High School, Diploma, or other
- A Bachelor degree in Engineering or Natural Science or a related field, or a "Diplom" degree (U, FH, BA), or, a "Vordiplom" and examinations in additional core courses
- Test of English proficiency
- Applicants from China, India, Iran, Mongolia, and Vietnam please see page country specific requirements for further specific requirements
- Local admission restriction
Applicants are evaluated by the COMMAS admission committee on the basis of their prior performance and professional promise. While high academic achievement does not guarantee admission, COMMAS expects such achievement or other persuasive evidence of professional promise.
The complete information on the admission process, required knowledge of English, and the criteria for the assessment of professional suitability can be found in the admission regulations.
Very good knowledge of English, non-Nativespeakers need a language certificate (TOEFL-Test with 213 credits (computer-based test) or a similar certificate).
Until February 15th for the beginning of the course in the winter semester of the same year.
Graduates can work in various industrial sectors. With their knowledge in material theory and modelling, simulation technology and numerical methods, our graduates are particularly suitable for professions in the following areas:
- simulation technology
- modelling of complex boundaries such as crash test simulations in the automotive industry
- design of finite elements and complex discretization
- coupled problems in design concepts for lifecycle-modeling in application areas of electric mobility.
COMMAS is a strongly research oriented program. The students are therefore ideally prepared for a university career at faculties of mechanical engineering and civil engineering.
Studying abroad: what opportunities does the University of Stuttgart has to offer?
Are you interested in going on exchange for a semester or two? Or would you rather do some research or attend a language course? Have you ever thought of joining a Summer School or planned an internship abroad? Whatever you have in mind for your exchange, the International Office will help you make your stay abroad an unforgettable experience. The first step will be to sign up online for our information sessions at the International Office that are offered on a regular basis. We look forward to your registration!
How is the program structured?
The program is limited to approximately 30 students. It consists of three semesters of course work and one semester (six months) of research for master's thesis. Research can be done either at the residence campus, at one of its partner universities or with an industry partner.
The Module Guide describes the modules and the required courses belonging to the module.
- The Module Guide (also called module handbook) is published in the Campus Management System C@MPUS [de] (please click as follows: choose the degree - click on the book behind the study program's name).
The quality of this degree program has been certified.