The Master’s program in Medical Engineering offers multiple natural- and engineering science disciplines for developing innovative technological solutions in various areas of medical engineering. This study program lets the University of Stuttgart leverage the many opportunities offered by its broad subject portfolio, with its combination of depth of disciplines and interdisciplinary networking of the engineering and natural sciences, for practice-oriented research and teaching medical engineering.
A total of twelve institutes and subject areas spread over five faculties of the University of Stuttgart participate in the medical engineering Master’s program. In addition, an exchange area exists with the University of Tuebingen and its biomedical technologies Master’s study program.
This degree program is right for you if you are interested in a range of disciplines from biomechanics and nanotechnology to optics, cybernetics, programming, and engineering design. Our courses focus on both theoretical and practical skills in these subjects. You will study in our state-of-the-art facilities and as part of our interdisciplinary community. This gives you the opportunity to explore your interests in the fields of biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or computer engineering to find a career that suits you. Every application will be evaluated on an individual basis.
We welcome students from all over the world.
You can select two from the 12 specialization subjects:
- Automation and communication
- Imaging methods and sensor signal processing in medical technology
- Biomechanics and bionics
- Biomedical materials and process engineering
- Biomedical engineering
- Engineering of ceramic components, composite materials and surface engineering
- Plastics engineering
- Medical device technology
- Microsystems technology
- Optical methods and systems in medical technology
- Automation control
- System dynamics
The skills developed during our master's program will allow you to pursue a variety of career opportunities, whether as a medical technician, starting your own business, or applying to medical graduate programs.
The study program opens up a wide range of career paths:
- Design engineer in the medical industry
- Scientist in the fields of industrial, academic, and clinical research
- Clinical Support Specialist
- Consultant for hospitals and doctors' practices
- Product manager for medical systems
- Process and quality manager
- Freelance work in the field of medical technology and related fields ...
Application and admission: how do I get a place at the University?
The complete information on the admission process, required knowledge of English, and the criteria for the assessment of professional suitability can be found in the admission regulations, published on the German website.
Application period for the
May 15 – July 15
December 1 – January 15
The macrostructure for the examination regulations 2022 shows you the basic structure of the Medical Engineering Master’s degree program. If you cannot read the macrostructure, please contact the program manager (Ms. Bosse-Mettler)
- Medical Engineering M.Sc.
Exploring, inventing, and developing medical technologies
- Information on Master's degrees
The quality of this degree program has been certified.
Course coordinator MSc Medical Engineering/ Head of internship office for Medical Engineering