For years there has been a shortage of suitable skilled employees and managerial staff in the real estate and construction industries, particularly in the fields of international construction and building law. Available training is failing to meet requirements, both in terms of quantity and quality, in the short, middle and long term. The increasing internationalization of companies active in the construction and real estate industries is compounding the situation.
The ability to work successfully in an international field requires specialist knowledge of standard international contracts, such as those used by the World Bank and many other international development banks.
The postgraduate further education study program International Construction: Practice and Law aims to help fill this gap in the market. In this study program, you will learn about the technical, financial and legal aspects of international construction from both theoretical and practical perspectives.
The program is suitable for a range of professionals working in the construction industry such as architecture, construction, engineering, or surveying, as well as lawyers interested in specializing in international construction and law.
Applicants must have at least two years’ work experience. The course is taught in English, so applicants must also demonstrate sufficient English skills.
There is a wide range of career opportunities in the construction industry e.g. in project management and consulting.
The amount of the fee depends on the way the student is going to attend the lectures. For students participating personally it is cheaper than for students choosing to attend online as well.
- Personal attendance: approx. 16.830 €
- Personal and online attendance: approx. 23.580 €
Application and admission: how do I get a place at the University?
Graduation in a diplom, bachelor or master degree course (or equal) in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Real Estate Engineering and Management, Law, state examination course Law, or the like and professional experience of at least two years in the above mentioned fields. If English is not your native language, an evidence of advanced English language knowledge is required.
What documentation do I need to include with my application?
- The completed application form which you can download within the application process.
- A certified copy of your academic degree certificate(s) of graduation in an at least six-semester, at the minimum of 180 credits spanning diploma, bachelor or master degree course (or equal degree) in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Real Estate Engineering and Mangement, Law, State Examination course Law, or the like.
- Proof of specified career experience of minimum two years. A short CV if at hand (please include all details of any qualifications and continuous education and all previous employers with details of roles and dates of employment).
The complete information on the admission process, required knowledge of English, and the criteria for the assessment of professional suitability can be found in the admission regulations.
If English is not your native language, an evidence of advanced English language knowledge is required (TOEFL PBT 550 Points; TOEFL CBT 213 Points; TOEFL iBT 80 Points; IELTS at least Band 6.0; Cambridge ESOL CAE/CPE; for graduates of English speaking bachelor courses, a certification of the university suffices; for German school graduates the verification of 5 years of English in secondary education I and II with school grade at least 3,5 in the last two years suffices).
Application period for the summer semester: October 31 – January 31
How is the program structured?
The duration of the program is four semesters (two years) with part-time attendance in the first three semesters (three days per month, Thursday to Saturday). In the fourth semester students have to do their master's thesis with occasional meetings at university.
The Module Guide describes the modules and the required courses belonging to the module.
- The Module Guide (also called module handbook) is published in the Campus Management System C@MPUS [de] (please click as follows: choose the degree - click on the book behind the study program's name).
The quality of this degree program has been certified.