International prospective students (degree)

Information on studies

On this page, you will find basic information on studying at the University of Stuttgart as an international student: what it costs and how to finance your studies, where to live, health insurance needs and your most important helpful contacts.

Costs and financing

You will need an estimated 700 to 850 euros per month on average to cover living expenses and the cost of your studies. Depending on individual life style, however, your cost could be lower or higher.

Rough guide to costs:

  • Rent (including utilities) in student housing: roughly 200 – 400 euro per month
  • Meals, etc.: roughly 200 euro per month
  • Health insurance: roughly 66 euro per month
  • Other (clothing, textbooks, etc.): roughly 100-200 euro per month
  • Semester dues: currently 164.50 euro per semester
  • Semester public transit pass: roughly 200 euro per semester

Please note that it will not be possible to finance your studies while at the University of Stuttgart by working. The earnings from permitted and feasible jobs in no way will provide a livelihood (more on this under the heading of part-time work).

Students can eat subsidized meals in the dining halls, live in subsidized student housing, pay reduced premiums for health insurance and public transit. For details, contact Student Services.


The University of Stuttgart levies semester dues that currently amount to 164.50 euro per semester. They cover administrative costs, the Student Services and the Student Union dues.

The amount must be paid to the Bank accoung of the University of Stuttgart upon enrollment. nAny transfer fees incurred are for your account.

You will find detailed information on fees on the Tuition and fees web page.

On the German side, scholarships are available for especially qualified prospective students. These are awarded under the programs of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) of the state of Baden-Wurttemberg and of other institutions/foundations. Due to the limited number of potential scholarships, prospective students dependent on scholarships are advised to solicit scholarships and financial support particularly in their home country before starting their studies term in Germany.

Other information sources:

The University law only permits gainful employment while studying only if expeditious studies do not suffer as a result and especially examination deadlines are adhered to. In addition, the Social Insurance Act limits part-time work by the amount of time devoted to it and/or the amount of compensation. International students with only a residency permit as a rule do not have a work permit and may only do a limited amount of work (90 days, alternatively 180 half days) without a work permit. Besides that, university-related, subject-germane activities related to studies may be carried out in organizations closely connected with the university.

It is important that you be realistic when it comes to estimating your financial means. You will not be able to finance your study by working. Labor law rules are very strict for students from other countries. If you break them, you are subject to being deported. Please be sure to discuss any contemplated activities along these lines with the immigration authorities.

Admission to studies does not mean that you have a reservation for housing, for instance in a student dormitory. All students are required to find their own accommodations. Living in Stuttgart Student Services housing is relatively inexpensive. There are more than 20 of the housing facilities divided between the Vaihingen campus and downtown. A room or apartment in student housing facilities ranges from 200 to 400 euros. The furnishings, prices and availability can vary substantially. You are well advised to make inquiries directly with the Housing Administration of Stuttgart Student Services.

Applying for a space in a housing facility is possible even before you begin your studies. However, at the latest on your move-in date, you must produce an enrollment receipt. Beyond the Student Services housing units, private and church agencies also control housing stock. Sharing an apartment with others is also an option. These “coop living groups” advertise on University bulletin boards, through the Student Union, newspaper ads and via apartment share agencies (addresses are in the phone book). For more details, contact Student Counseling Center or check the web pages of stuvus Student Union.

All students must carry health insurance until the 14th semester and up to the age of 30. The current mandatory health insurance or substitute health insurance premium currently amounts to about 60 euro per month.

EU citizens and those of a few other European nations with which a social security convention exists are relieved of the health insurance requirement in Germany if they can prove that they are insured in their home country (requires Form E128 of your home country health insurance.)
Students older than 30 or in a semester beyond the 14th will not be insured by the mandatory health insurance and must obtain private health insurance.

Germany’s immigration authorities do not recognize health insurance with limitations on coverage or medical claim payments. Before departing from home, it is therefore extremely important for you to obtain comprehensive health insurance coverage. For an orientation on this subject, see the webpage Insurance Requirements. Information on health insurance is also available from Local Public Medical Insurance (AOK).

With your student ID, you can use Stuttgart Regional Alliance (VVS) public transit means on workdays from 18:00 on as well as all day on weekends and holidays. If you want to use local transit all day during the week, you need an Alliance pass and network card that together make up the so-called StudiTicket.
Also available is the “Connect StudiTicket” that is good on neighboring transportation networks, including Neckar-Alb-Donau, Heilbronner-Hohenloher-Haller local transit, Pforzheim-Enzkreis, Karlsruhe und Ostalbkreis.

Should you have questions on any points not covered here you can refer to the following resources:

Additional information

Both the University of Stuttgart and other institutions offer you additional or more detailed information about studying in Stuttgart or in Germany generally.

You can order two useful brochures on these topics fromStudent Counseling Center of the University of Stuttgart. The titles are “Studying at the University of Stuttgart” and “Study Programs.” You can also get information on the individual study programs from Student Counseling Center.

Consult the following links for detailed information and resources for getting ready to study and studying in Germany:


Dieses Bild zeigt Counseling Center

Student Counseling Center

Geschwister-Scholl-Str. 24C, 70174 Stuttgart


Admissions Office for foreign and EU citizens

Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 24B, 70174 Stuttgart


Admissions Office for Germans and foreigners with German education

Keplerstraße 7 (Room 0/5), 70174 Stuttgart