All university applicants must produce evidence of having participated in a study orientation program, as specified in Section 60, Para. 2 Nr. 6 of the State Higher Education Act (LHG). The individual universities have discretion over which orientation programs they will accpet.
The following applies when:
- Changing degree programs: you only need to produce evidence of an orientation program if you are applying in at least one field of study in the first regular semester.
- Applying for a teacher training program: instead of documenting the general orientation program, you will need to produce evidence of a specialized orientation test for teachers, the so-called CCT (Career Counselling for Teachers) [de].
- Applying for a master's degree program: no proof of an orientation program is required.
- The certificates have no expiration dates.
Orientation programs recognized by the University of Stuttgart
In accordance with Section 3, Para. 1, Nr. 8 of the University of Stuttgart's Application and Enrollment Regulation, the University recognizes the following study orientation programs as meeting admission requirements for all undergraduate programs leading to the bachelor's degree.
When applying for this program, instead of a general-purpose orientation program, you are required to produce evidence of having taken a specialized orientation test for teachers, the so-called CCT (Career Counselling for Teachers) [de]. The CCT-certificate also has to be produced when changing degree programs for the purpose of entering a teacher training program and when applying to a higher regular semester in the teacher training program.
You can choose from the following orientation program options when applying to any degree programs other than those for teaching degrees (application for the 1st regular semester; in double degree programs, to at least one study field for the 1st regular semester):
General orientation test
A self-administered test for study orientation on was-studiere-ich.de [de]. This test is also recognized by other universities in Baden-Wuerttemberg.
Orientation and decision training
BEST-Training [de] (Study and career orientation at Baden-Wuerttemberg high schools), also evidence of ZOS seminars (predecessor of the BEST seminars)
Study orientation workshop called „So treffe ich die richtige Studienentscheidung“[de] (How I make the right decision in choosing what to study) by the University of Stuttgart Student Counseling Center
Study orientation workshop (lasting from several hours to several days) held by central or general student counseling at other universities (be sure that the certificate states “orientation workshop”).
Orientation counseling (one-on-one or group counseling) by central or general student counseling at universities, graduate counseling, or counseling by the Academic Careers Team [de] of the Federal Employment Agency.
When changing study programs in the third or higher regular semester you are required to show that you received subject-specific information and advice from an academic advisor (per Section 60, Para. 2 Nr. 5 LHG).
This certification simultaneously serves as evidenct of an orientation program.
Orientation programs that are not recognized
Participation in the following study orientation programs and information offerings is not accepted by the University of Stuttgart:
- BOGY (High School Career Orientation)
- Study days and open houses
- High school graduate job fairs
- Informational events and presentations on study choices, applications, and admissions.